If you have an LG G6 smartphone and want to unlock bootloader for installing the custom recovery, kernels, or the root….you simply follow a perfect step-by-step guide in this post in order to immediately unlock the bootloader on your G6. However, you must read the steps carefully before starting the unlocking bootloader process. Any mistake you create during the process is your sole responsibility.
We divide this post into two part for different models. The first ones are H870 and US997, while the second one is the H872 model. But, to get the process to be successful, you need an LG developer account. You can visit here and click on “Starting Unlocking Bootloader” to create an account if you have not yet.
- Your computer needs to be pre-installed the LG USB Drivers before beginning with the procedure. In case you have not yet to install them, you can grab them from the official LG website.
- Make a full backup of your important as the unlocking process will vanish all your data
- Download and install ADB and fastboot driver on your computer from here
- Keep your phone has at least 50-60% battery charged to prevent the accidental shutdown in the process.
Once all requirements are satisfied, simply follow the instructions below to unlock bootloader LG G6
Steps To Unlock Bootloader LG G6 H870 & US997 Models
- On your phone, note the 15-digit IMEI number for the unlock.
- Go to Settings > About phone > Software info and tap Build number 7 times until you see a message “you are now a developer” on the screen.
- Return to Settings, tap on Developer Options and enable USB-Debugging and OEM Unlock options.
- Connect your phone to the computer
- Now, boot your LG G6 into fastboot mode. To do so, power your phone off first. After that, press the Power button again while holding Volume UP buttons.
- Wait for a few seconds and your LG G6 is now in the bootloader. On your computer, go to ADB folder, right click on an empty space and choose Open Command Prompt fro here
- Now, type in the following fastboot command to get the device ID:
fastboot oem device-id
- If correct, Fastboot command will return a string, which is the Device ID that are used to generate your unlock key. For example:
$ fastboot oem device-id (bootloader)----------------------------------------------------------------- (bootloader) Device-ID (bootloader) CD58B679A38D6B613ED518F37A05E013 (bootloader) F93190BD558261DBBC5584E8EF8789B1 (bootloader)-----------------------------------------------------------------
- To generate your unlock key, you have to paste together the 2 lines of output into one string without “(bootloader)” or any space. Following the example above, the Device ID is:CD58B679A38D6B613ED518F37A05E013F93190BD558261DBBC 5584E8EF8789B1
- Now, simply copy both Device ID and IMEI into the LG Developers Bootloader Unlock site and click on the Confirm button. In a few minutes, you will receive an unlock.bin attached in the email sent to you. Download the file to your computer.
- Enter the following command to unlock the bootloader of your LG G6 H870 & US997. Note: This will unlock the bootloader as well as factory reset your phone. So back up data first!
fastboot flash unlock unlock.bin
- Reboot your phone and then boot into your unlocked bootloader by entering the command:
That’s done! You have successfully unlocked bootloader your LG G6 H870 & US99.
Also read: How to Update LG G6 to Android 9.0
Steps to Unlock Bootloader on T-Mobile LG G6 H872
This method is applied for T-Mobile LG G6 variant. If you are using a T-Mobile G6, then simply follow these steps below to unlock bootloader your phone.
- First, plug the device to your PC via a USB cable and allow “Always allow from this computer” on your device screen. After that, unplug the cable.
- Next, power off your handset and boot it into the fasboot mode by pressing and holding the Volume Down + Power keys for 5 seconds. Once you see the bootloader screen, connect your device to the computer, and select fasboot mode if available.
- If not, go to the Android SDK folder and open command prompt (cmd) and type in: “adb reboot bootloader” and then “fastboot devices” to check if your G6 is already in the fasboot mode
- Now, it’s time to unlock bootloader of your device. In cmd, enter: “fastboot oem unlock”
- After that, it should unlock to verify type:
fastboot getvar unlocked
- You will be prompted to say yes or no!
- Now, simply type in “fastboot reboot” to reboot your LG G6. It will take some minutes for your phone to boot in the first time.
That’s all about unlocking bootloader of your T-Mobile LG G6 without any secure boot errors or other problems. In case you have any doubts, let’s know in the comment below.
2 thoughts on “Steps to Unlock Bootloader on LG G6”
no key (unlock.bin) needed from LG?
We have already updated it! Please try again