Pixel 4 & Pixel 4 XL are two latest flagships of Google that are released to compete with other OEM Android phones and 2019 iPhone models. While they have just been going on shelves for a few weeks, quickly, Pixel 4 and Pixel 4 XL can be now unlocked bootloader and gain root access. If you like tweaking your Android phone and do not mind about voiding warranty, read on this post to unlock bootloader your Google Pixel 4/Pixel 4XL.
Steps to Unlock Bootloader Google Pixel 4/Pixel 4 XL
Before getting started, make sure to meet some requirements below so that the process can be successful.
This instruction is only for Google Pixel 4 & Pixel 4 XL.
Keep your phone battery at least 50% to avoid unexpected issues.
Make a backup of your data since unlocking bootloader will format the internal storage.
An USB C cable for connection
Download Google USB Drivers on your Windows computer
Download ADB Fastboot and then install it.
Unlock the bootloader on Google Pixel
- First, you need to install the Google USB Drivers from the link above and then the ADB Fastboot file in the C:/Drive.
- Next, turn on OEM Unlock and USB Debugging options on your Pixel phone.
To do so, head to Settings > Systems > About Phone and tap on Build Number 7 times until you see a message “you are now a developer” . When done, tap on Developer Options and enable OEM unlocking and USB Debugging
- Connect your Pixel phone to the computer with USB C cable. The, open the ADB folder in the C:/Drive
- From there, open cmd/ PowerShell: by holding the Shift key and right click on any blank space.
- Now, enter the following command to check if your Google Pixel is connected to your computer properly.
- In case the command is unauthorized, you will then see a message prompting you to allow USB Debugging on your Pixel 4/ 4 XL.
Now, boot your phone in fastboot mode with the command below:
adb reboot bootloader
Once your phone enters bootloader mode, continue to enter the following command:
fastboot modefastboot devices
- To unlock the bootloader your Google Pixel 4/4 XL, enter the given command:
fastboot flashing unlock
- On your phone, it will show up a warning screen, about the risk of unlocking bootloader. Now, use Volume key to conform your action
- Your Pixel phone will automatically perform a factory reset
When the process is done, reboot your phone with the command below:
That’s how to unlock bootloader Google Pixel 4/4XL. After that, follow these steps below to root your Pixel phone.
Download Factory image
Download: Magisk Manager 20.0
Once you downloaded files, follow these steps below that were written by an XDA member to root your new Pixel phone.
- First, copy the recovery image into your device
- Download and install the latest version of Magisk Manager app
- Since you are patching with a recovery image, tap on “Recovery Mode” in Advanced Settings
- Tap on Install → Select and Patch a File, and choose your factory image file
- The image will be patched it in Storage/Download/magisk_patched.img
- Next, copy the patched factory image into your PC. You can do it through command if you are unable to do it through MTP.
adb pull /sdcard/Download/magisk_patched.img
- Next, install the patched boot/recovery image on your Pixel 4/4 XL.
- Enter the command to do so:
fastboot flash boot /path/to/magisk_patched.img
I hope this guide is helpful to you. If you have any trouble, let’s know in the comment below.