Dear all Moto G5 users! While Motorola has stopped releasing Android updates for your phone, it does not mean you cannot update your phone to the latest Android Pie version. There are still great custom ROM for your Moto G5. If you are looking for a great Rom to flash it on your phone, then you are in the right place. Thanks to LienageOS team, they successfully released LineageOS 16.0 ROM based on Android Pie version. If you want this new ROM on your Moto, read on this post to download and install it on your phone.
ROM OS Version: 9.x Pie
ROM Kernel: Linux 3.x
Based On: AOSP
However, before flashing the ROM, you should meet some requirements first so that the process can be successful.
- Back up all your important data since the process will wipe everything.
- Keep your phone battery at least 50% to flash the ROM
- Especially, it requires Recovery Mandatory since it’s a 64-bits ROM. You can download TWRP 3.2.1-0 from here
- Back up EFS and then persist partition before installing the ROM. In case you lose IMEI, you can use this backup to get it back in future.
- USB tethering
- SELinux is permissive
Steps to flash the LineageOS 16 ROM on Moto G5
- First, download the ROM file from the link below and then copy it into the internal storage of your phone:
- Download Opengapps: Link (ARM64-9.0). Also, save it in the root folder of your phone internal storage.
For Clean Installation:
- Boot your Moto G5 into Mandatory TWRP recovery
- Tap on Wipe > Advanced Wipe and wipe the data & cache & system
- Tap on Install and flash the LineageOS ROM zip from the Recovery
- Flash the GApps file to get the Google services
- (Optional)Every additional zip you want to flash
- Reboot your phone and enjoy it.
For LineageOS update / upgrade:
- Don’t wipe anything unless you want to lose your data since you no need to wipe when switching. In the future updates, you might need to do a clean
- Tap on Install and flash the latest LineageOS ROM zip from the Recovery
- (Optional)Flash the GApps file on first install/upgrade. It does not require later but does update sometimes (Optional)
- Flash additional zip if you want
- Reboot your Moto G5 and enjoy!
That’s how to install LineageOS 16.0 ROM based on Android Pie update for Moto G5. If you have any question, let’s know in the comment below.