Samsung has officially been pushing Android Pie firmware update for all Samsung Galaxy Note 9 devices. I know many of you have already updated your phone to the latest Android version to experience the new One UI as well as other Android Pie features. However, if you have previously installed TWRP recovery on your Note 9 on the Android 8.1 Oreo, the TWRP recovery will be lost on the Android Pie firmware. So, in this post, we’d like to show you the way to install TWRP recovery as well as root your Galaxy Note 9 on the latest Android Pie firmware.
If you are finding solutions to install TWRP custom recovery on your Note 9 running Android Pie, then simply read on this post.
- SM- N960F/FD/ N
Before proceeding, you should prepare some things first so that the process can be sucessful.
- Back up all your important data first since flashing TWRP recovery will require formatting your phone
- Keep your phone battery at least 50% for the process
- Your Galaxy Note must have OEM Unlocking feature.
- Odin v3.13.1 + Samsung USB driver from this link: https://mega.nz/#!7HwRQK6C!0DYCZgIuoyyZO0JlOXUl_0nWRttlpK7U5_m5cYGRFG8
- Magisk v18.0
- OEM Patch for Pie: https://androidfilehost.com/?w=files&flid=281291
- TWRP recovery:
For Sm-G9600 model, you need to download additional files:
Once you downloaded all files, let’s start installing TWRP recovery and rooting your Galaxy Note 9 running Android Pie firmware.
Also see: How To FRP Bypass Samsung Galaxy Note 9 Binary 2
Steps to install TWRP recovery on Samsung Galaxy Note 9 Android Pie firmware
- First, you need to enable OEM Unlocking feature on your phone first. To do so, go to Settings > About Phone > tap on Build Number 7 times until you see the “you are now a developer” message. Return to Settings > Developer Options and enable OEM Unlocking.
- Now, boot your phone into Download mode. Press & hold Volume Down + Bixby buttons while connecting your phone to the computer. When you see a blue warning screen, simply press the Volume Up
- Open Odin v3.1.3 and click Option tab
- Untick Auto-reboot option
- Click on AP button and browse to the TWRP recovery file
- Wait for the process to complete, unplug the cable and press Bixby + (Vol-) + Power to Reboot
- When the screen goes off, quickly press & hold Power + Bixby + Volume Up button to boot into TWRP recovery.
- Ensure to NOT allow the system to be modified until you try to disable dm-verity! (otherwise, your Note 9 will be stuck at bootloop).
- Now, tap on Wipe > Format Data and type Yes to detect the internal storage of your device.
- Prepare an SD card and copy the root file and OEM Patch into the SD card
- Put it into your Note 9. Next, tap on Reboot > Recovery
- Continue to flash the OEM Patch to disable dm-verify. For SM-N9600 model, you need to install Custom Kernel and Encryption disabler.zip on your phone.
- Finally, flash the Magisk file and wait for the process to complete.
That’s all! You have successfully installed TWRP recovery and rooted your Galaxy Note 9. If you have any question, let’s know in the comment below, we’ll try to find out solutions for you.
2 thoughts on “How To Install TWRP Recovery For Galaxy Note 9 On Android Pie”
The OEM Patch for Pie seems to be only for N960F according to the name. Would it work for N9600?