Google has recently refreshed Pixel lineup with the release of Pixel 3 and Pixel 3 XL devices. Compared to the Pixel 2 lineup, the new ones sport larger displays, more powerful processor and improved camera. Pixel is a desirable phone since it always receives the best developer support. This is evident by the TWRP 3.2.3 official build coming within a month of Pixel 3 release. So, in this post, we’d like to highlight complete steps so that Pixel 3/Pixel 3 XL users can easily install TWRP 3.2.3 recovery on their phone.
Download Pixel 3 / Pixel 3 XL USB Drivers
First of all, you need to install Google USB driver to connect your Android phone with the computer more easily. You can download the latest Google USB driver from here:
TWRP 3-2-3 Recovery For Pixel 3 & Pixel 3 XL
Here is the complete guide to installing TWRP 3-2-3 recovery on your Pixel 3 / Pixel 3 XL. However, before getting started, you should meet some requirements first.
- Make sure you have already unlocked bootloader of your Pixel 3/Pixel 3 XL.
- On your phone, go to Settings>About Phone and tapping on build number multiple times until you successfully activate Developer Options
- Return to Settings>Developer Options and enable USB Debugging option.
- Backup all the data on your phone since installing TWRP recovery will ease them all.
- Keep your phone battery at least 50% to make sure your phone will not shut down during the procedure.
Once you have fulfilled all the requirements above, now proceed to the tutorial.
- First, download Android SDK from the Android Developers website and then install it on your computer. You can also set it up by downloading platform-tools. If not, simply install fastboot/ADB package regarding your computer OS:
Windows OS: Download platform-tools-windows-latest.zip
MacOS OS: Download platform-tools-darwin-latest.zip
Linux OS: Download platform-tools-linux-latest.zip
- Now, download both the img and the zip files of TWRP 3-2-3 recovery.
Pixel 3: https://dl.twrp.me/blueline/
Pixel 3 XL: https://dl.twrp.me/crosshatch/
- Copy both the files into the ADB folder of your system drive. Rename the twrp-3.2.3-0-blueline.img (or twrp-3.2.3-0-crosshatch.img) file into twrp.img. also, change the zip file into twrp.zip
- Power off your Pixel 3/3 XL completely, and then hold Volume Down, and turn on your phone.
Also see: How To Fix Google Pixel 3/ Pixel 3 XL Stuck On Bootup Screen
- Your phone will boot into the bootloader mode. Connect your device to the computer
- Head to ADB folder and right-click on any blank space and choose Open Command Prompt from here. Cmd will now open, simply enter the following command:
fastboot boot twrp.img
If you are using Linux or Mac to do the task, you can use Terminal, but you need to run the following command from the proper location:
fastboot boot path/to/ twrp.img
- It will temporarily boot your Pixel 3/3 XL into TWRP recovery. Now, you need to push the zip file onto your phone by running the following command:
adb push twrp.zip /
or: adb push path/to/twrp.zip/ (if you use Terminal)
- Now, on your phone, browse to the TWRP zip file and flash it on your phone.
That’s all! You have successfully installed TWRP 3.2.3 recovery on your Pixel 3/ Pixel 3 XL. If you accidentally flash TWRP to your phone using fastboot mode instead of booting the image, you will then need to download the compatible factory image and flash the boot image again.
Good luck to you!