Following the release of Google’ AOSP source for the official Android 8.0 version, the developers also started building custom ROMS based on this firmware for other Android smartphones, except the Google Pixel and Nexus devices. The AOSP 8.0.0 Oreo ROM was first available for Xiaomi Note 4/4X, and now the latest device to receive a Lineage OS 15 unofficial build is the OnePlus 5. If you are having an OnePlus 5 and want to experience the Android 8.0 Oreo on your device, here is how to flash this new custom on your phone. However, there are some features not working in the first build, inluding
– Home Button (on screen-keys enabled by default)
– Fingerprint Sensor
– Notification Slider
How To Install LineageOS 15 On OnePlus 5
As the first build, the LineageOS 15 files based on Android 8.0 firmware for OnePlus 5 does not come as a TWRP flashable ROM. This new ROM includes two files called boot image and system image. You will have to flash the boot and system images using the fastboot method.
- The ROM is only compatible with OnePlus 5 smartphone.
- Ensure your OnePlus 5 device is rooted and install the latest TWRP and Bootloader is already unlocked.
- Enable USB Debugging and OEM Unlock in Developer Options on your device. To enable this feature, go to Settings > Developer Options > Enable USB Debugging and OEM Unlocks from here.
- If you are running on OxygenOS, it’s recommended to wipe the boot, system from TWRP custom recovery.
- Download and set up ADB and Fastboot on Windows, Mac OS, Linux.
- Download the Lineage OS 15 file for OnePlus 5. After that, save the file on your computer.
- Plug your OnePlus 5 to PC with the help of the USB cable. Trust the connection by checking “Always allow from this computer” if you connect the device for the first time.
- Make sure the ADB and Fastboot have already been set up.
- Go to the ADB folder and right click while pressing the Shift key and choose open windows command here.
- Now, boot your OnePlus 5 into the fastboot mode. To do this, enter the following command:
adb reboot fastboot
- Once you are in the recovery mode, it’s time to erase the boot and system images by typing the command:
fastboot erase boot
- Now, you need to flash the system image of the custom ROM. Type the exact file name:
fastboot flash boot <boot image filename>. img
- Next, flash the system image file by entering the following command.
fastboot flash boot <system filename>. img
Note: you might need to erase the previous OxygenOS system first by typing the commd:
fastboot erase system
That’s all. Reboot your OnePlus 5 and enjoy the Android 8.0 version on your device. If you have any trouble, let’s know in the comment below.