Dear all Samsung Galaxy S5 users! It’s a pity when Samsung no longer supported Android update for its Galaxy S5. If you are using a Samsung Galaxy S5 and want to update your phone to the latest Android 8.1 Oreo version, then there is a custom LineageOS ROM can help you do that. LineageOS is an open Android source, of which ROM is nearly the Google’s stock version. So, after flashing the ROM you will see your Galaxy S5 as fast as a Pixel phone.
If you are interested in this Android 8.1 ROM, then follow this post to flash the ROM on your phone.
Before flashing the ROM, you have to meet some requirements first.
- Back up all your data as the process will erase them all
- Exit all accounts currently signed in your phone
- Keep your phone battery at least 50% for the process
- A TWRP recovery is required to flash the Android 8.1 ROM.
Install TWRP Recovery For Galaxy S5
Method 1: Use Odin
- Download and install Samsung USB driver on your computer
- Download and extract Odin file
- Download the TWRP 3-2-3 recovery.tar file
- On your phone, go to Settings > Developer Options and enable OEM Unlock
- Power your phone off and boot it into Download mode (Power + Home + Volume Down buttons)
- Connect your phone to the computer and open Odin. In the Options tab, uncheck Auto-reboot and flash the TWRP 3-2-3 recovery.tar file.
- Once done, detach the cable, remove the battery and insert it again. Press Power + Home + Volume Up buttons to boot into TWRP recovery.
- From there, tap on Wipe > Format Data and type “Y” to confirm. Once done, reboot your phone.
Method 2: Flash through old TWRP recovery
If you have previously installed a TWRP recovery on your Galaxy S5, then you can update TWRP recovery. To do so:
- Download TWRP 3-2-3.img for your model and copy it into the internal storage
- Power your phone off and boot it into TWRP recovery
- From there, tap on Install > Install img and flash the TWRP 3-2-3.img file. Once done, reboot your phone and enjoy the latest TWRP recovery on your phone.
How To Install LineageOS Android 8.1 ROM On Galaxy S5
Once you have successfully installed TWRP recovery on your Galaxy S5, let’s start flashing the Android 8.1 ROM on your phone. To do so:
- Download the ROM file from the link below for your model:
- Download the Gapps file into your computer (pico or nano)
- Copy both the ROM file and Gapps file into the internal storage of your phone
- Next, switch your Galaxy S5 off and boot it into TWRP recovery
- From there, tap on Wipe > Advanced Wipe and check: Dalvik, Cache, Data, System
- Now, tap on Install and flash the ROM file first. Once done, continue to flash the Gapps file.
- Swipe again to delete cache and dalvik.
Finally, reboot your phone and wait for your phone to boot up. That’s all! You can now taste the Android 8.1 version on your Samsung Galaxy S5. If you have any question, let’s know in the comment below.